Monday, June 2, 2008

East Atlanta - The Kills Concert



(Written prior w/o internet)

Last night, we went into East Atlanta for a concert. It’s a pretty cool little part of town that I don’t visit enough. There are little boutiques, restaurants, and bars.

The concert was at a place called The Earl. The outside, with a plain purple exterior, was pretty unassuming. It looks like your everyday neighborhood dive. If I had not been there for a concert, I would never have guessed there was even a concert venue in the back. We were actually there on a whim. We had forgotten to purchase tickets and had learned earlier that day that it was sold out. We thought we’d give it a try anyway since we were in the vicinity. We were in luck. The guy by the door pointed out one of the bartenders who could maybe help us out. She had two last tickets to sell, or so we were told anyway. We were some of the very first people to enter the venue. We didn’t realize that there were opening act, so we were able to get an excellent view. There were two acts before The Kills went on, Magic Wands and a guy named Dax with his drummer. It was a pretty good concert fro beginning to end.

It turned out that a good number of people were there for Dax. While in line for the restroom, I met one girl who practically stalks the guy. Another guy, who was obviously drunk, hopped on stage and started head banging to his music until he was finally pulled off stage. Dax’s voice was nice, but his drummer was the more entertaining of the two. His nonchalant attitude, curly Ashton-Kutcher-hair, and his ability to simultaneously smoke, drink and play drums would make a school girl swoon.

The Kills finally started playing around 11:30 or so, and by then, the whole room had filled. They’re great live. Admittedly, I had learned of them through a recent episode of Gossip Girl, where their music was featured, so I had not heard too much of their music. I can now say that I’m a true fan. It was nice having a good view. In fact, at one point I backed away because the man was about to sweat on me…okay, so I’m not THAT big of a fan to allow him to sweat on me, but I like them and I’d definitely go see them again.

Magic Wands

Dax and Guitarist/Drummer

The Kills

The Kills

No comments: