Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lesson #189 - Be careful of your choice of words

I tried to get one of the patients to work with one of the nurses this week. My patient doesn't trust many people and was a bit reluctant to do so. Finally, I was able to convince Mr. X that the nurse was pretty nice. As I left to go find the nurse, I made the rookie mistake.

Let's give this a shot, okay?

GAME OVER. I should have said: Let's give this a chance, but my patient had already curled up in a ball repeating over and over - I don't want a shot! I don't want a shot! Fortunately, the patient calmed down pretty quickly, but I felt like such an idiot.

***

This blog was never intended to just be about food...I don't know how that ended up happening. I mainly wanted to keep writing without freaking out my parents. (I heard that one of my cousin introduced my mom to my old blog of many years. This apparently this upset my mom, who ended up lecturing me about not sharing details about my life online) I figure writing things about the city I live in is pretty benign. Besides, with what I do, it's not really prudent for me to talk about my every day life anyway.

I haven't really haven't found much time to update this week. Things have been hectic between my rotation, a paper, and studying for a test. My rotations have been going pretty well so far. I just finished my second one full of adventures and life lessons. There are so many times I wish I could detail a story from my day, but it would be difficult to do so without mentioning something about a patient. So many stories teeming in my head, only I can't tell anyone in the world for ethical reasons. Sigh. That's one of the drawbacks of medicine.

***


No comments: