Saturday, December 19, 2009

Taka - Sushi and Passion; Atlanta, GA


Neighborhood: Buckhead
385 Pharr Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30305
(404) 869-2802
www.takasushiatlanta.com



MY YELP REVIEW

This is more like a 4.5 given the city and pricing.

I was pleasantly surprised by my experience at Taka. People have been talking up this place for a while, but I've never made my way over to the restaurant until earlier this year. Despite the good reviews on Yelp, I'll be honest, I was pretty skeptical and wasn't expecting much. We've been disappointed with quite a few sushi recommendations in Atlanta that didn't live up.

Our experience was a good one. We had some excellent cuts of fish, and I'll probably go back. (Actually I have been back)

First Impressions: The parking lot is tiny, but we were able to find parking with no problem. The interior was tasteful although I didn't really get much of a chance to soak that in since we decided to be seated outside each time. The outdoor seating is great for a nice relaxing spring day.

Service: The service was pretty good. It wasn't anything spectacular or memorable in this department, but I have no complaints at all.

Food: Fresh fish. Great with the traditional menu but some of the rolls are quite nice. I think it was the tuna tartar roll that has a nice twist to with a wrapping that has smokiness to it. I also had some of the best Ama-ebi here. Overall, I thought the sashimi was pretty well selected, although I feel Tomo has better consistency in quality. I had a grilled seabass here that was delicious. One disappointment was the uni, the time we ordered it. Also, the pork belly pales in comparison to that served at Tomo. (Although you'll pay much more at Tomo for it)

One thing that I've noticed is that Taka has a blog. I'm not sure how well he keeps up with it but he makes information available about the freshest selections and specialty items he is currently serving. You can tell this man has passion for what he does!

All in all, a good experience. It is one of the only four Atlanta restaurants that I will go to for sushi.

No comments: